Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Lord's Prayer "forgive us our trespasses"

The word that Jesus uses here is also translated as debt. It is something that we are obligated to pay for because we transgressed. We are asking for forgiveness from the wrong that we have made. All sin even when it is against someone else is ultimately rebellion against God. When we pray through the Lord's prayer we first realign ourselves under His rule and will then we ask for removal of the debt that we owe our Lord. We owe God a debt that we cannot in a million years pay. In fact we have no way of repaying this debt at all. There is no currency with which to pay it back with. God knows this and sent His son to die on the cross and rise from the dead as payment for our sins. God has already forgiven your sins when you come to Him. He has already taken care of them but until you confess your sins and ask for forgiveness you cannot experience the freedom that He offers you. When I pray through this I ask God to remind me of the sins in my life that I may overlook as nothing. I ask for Him to bring my sins out into the light so that they are exposed where they can whither and die in the light. God will do this when you ask Him to expose your sin that you have been hiding or ignoring. Confess your sins to God, ask for forgiveness and ask the Holy Spirit to illuminate any areas that need work.

No comments: