Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Personal Devotional Time

Recently I began to be coached by one of the leaders of our district. As part of the intake process he encouraged me to change how I had been doing my devotional time. What I had been doing was reading through the Bible chronologically and the time I spent in prayer was mainly about other's needs. His challenge to me was to change my focus. If the time spent is my personal time with God, why am I not paying attention to my relationship with God? He suggested that my personal time be about me and God. What I should do is to read scripture and when I feel like something jumps out at me to stop and think and pray about what God is saying to me. I need to take time to allow God to change me and show me where I am missing his plans for my life. So I asked him, when do I then pray for others? His response was that he asks God to interrupt his day by bringing people and their needs to his mind throughout the day so that he can pray for them. My question today for you is, how do you spend your time with God? Is it about others or about you and him? We need God to change and mold us so that we can be used effectively in his service.



Here is a link with some suggestions on how to change up your time spent with God.

No comments: