Friday, February 05, 2010

Proverbs 23:17

Do not let your heart envy sinners, but live in the fear of the Lord always. As I read this verse, God brought to mind how I have done this in my life. From looking at others "things" that I could have if I worked more or didn't tithe. I have been guilty of looking at what others have and wanting it for myself. I have also seen the other side of things. I see how they have stumbled into work because of a late night out involving lots of alcohol. I see how their relationships crumble so easily without the bedrock of Christ. I see the downside of how sinners lead their lives and yet because I am still a sinner in need of a savior I am still pulled in their direction. But the verse doesn't just end with do not let your heart envy sinners, it has a but in there. But live in the fear of the Lord always. This is how I counteract the draw of sin in my life. I live in the fear of God always. Each and every day I live in the fear of God. This makes me take stock of the future and realize that the life of a sinner leads to death. I am on the road to life and need to live like it.

No comments: